|Back to The Corners Home Page|
COOL FAMILY PROPERTIES - 1874
From the obituary of Mrs. May Mott Cool, December 13, 1951:
The first of the three Cool homes was built at 50 Warren Street by Keyes P. Cool. This was later the home of his grandson, Mayor Charles W. Cool
The second house was built at 54 Warren Street by Keyes' son, Joseph Cool. The property was later bought by J. Huyler White of the Joubert and White carriage making firm.
The third house at 52 Warren Street was built on property between the two houses by the estate of Joseph Cool, following his death, for his children.
Home of Keyes P. Cool
erected circa 1830
Built for children of Joseph Cool
erected circa 1865
Home of Joseph Cool
erected circa 1860
Note: The house numbers on Warren Street were changed during 1946 - 47. No. 50 became 78,No. 52 became 82 and No. 54 became 88. These homes were between Center Street and the old Glens Falls Academy on Warren Street. The house at No. 88 is still standing (in 2003).
Keyes P. Cool was born in Vergennes, Vermont in 1795 and came to Glens Falls in 1828. He was a cabinet maker and builder, and, with his brother Hyman, erected the first Methodist church in Glens Falls on Church Street. This was the "Old Stone Church" that later was bought and used by St. Mary's Catholic Church. Keyes was a member of the original vestry of the Church of the Messiah, presided at the first war meeting in 1861 that led to the forming of two companies of the 22nd Regiment and was a Presidential Elector in Lincoln's first campaign. He got into the lime business and exported the first shipment of lime from Glens Falls. He manufactured the lime in kilns he had built on the bank of the Feeder Canal at the foot of Lime Street, now (2003) called Fredella Avenue and shipped it to Troy, NY. He left the firm a few years later and it was run by his sons under the name Joseph B. Cool and Brothers. In 1859 they produced 160,000 barrels of lime. In addition to lime, the Cools developed another profitable enterprise under the name of Glens Falls Transportation Company. They had a large warehouse at the foot of Fredella Street and quite a number of canal boats. Their most profitable freight was hides and leather. Hides imported from all parts of the country and South America were brought to tanneries at Warrensburg, Chestertown, Pottersville, Stony Creek and Horicon. When the hides had been tanned, they were hauled back to Glens Falls and shipped out by the Glens Falls Transportation Company.
Below is an enlargement of each picture with the names and information about the people pictured.
50 Warren Street
Carlos Morgan: Glens Falls Postmaster, residing at 18 Park Street (1874 numbering).
Marshall W. Kirkman, Mrs. M. W. Kirkman, Bruce Kirkman: Mrs. Kirkman's maiden name was Fannie Spencer. Sarah Cool married a Henry Spencer, so presumably Mrs. Kirkman is his sister, Marshall her husband, and Bruce, her son.
Mrs. Sarah Spencer: The daughter of Keyes P. and Juliet Cool. She married Henry Spencer.
K. P. Cool and Mrs. K. P. Cool (Keyes Philip Cool and his wife, Juliet Butler Cool): They are the grandparents of the first mayor of Glens Falls, Charles P. Cool.
52 Warren Street
Anna Cool Goodman: Grandaughter of Keyes P. Cool and sister of the first mayor of Glens Falls, Charles W. Cool. She married Elroy W. Goodman.
Mrs. F. W. Robinson and Bessie Robinson: Mrs. Robinson was Louisa Keyes Cool, daughter of Keyes P. Cool. Presumably Bessie is their daughter.
Mrs. Byron Lapham and Walter Lapham: Mrs. Lapham was Minnie Spencer, presumably the sister of Henry Spencer, married to Sarah Ann Cool.
Juliet B. Cool: Daughter of Keyes P. Cool. Listed in the 1874 Glens Falls directory as a teacher.
54 Warren Street
Blanche Cool Robbins: Daughter of Louisa Cool and Fred Robinson; Fred was a lime manufacturer and they resided at 55 Warren Street. Louisa was the daughter of Keyes Cool.
F. F. Pruyn and Alice Cool Pruyn: Alice was the daughter of Hiram Cool. Fred (F. F.) was a bank teller who resided at 54 Warren Street.
H. M. Cool (Hiram Moore Cool): the son of Keyes P. Cool, a retired merchant who lived at 54 Warren Street.
Bessie Robinson: The same Bessie who is in the second picture in this series. A note on the back of the photo says she ran to this house so she could be in both pictures.
SOURCES: The photos used above are from the Chapman Historical Museum archives. Most of the information about the people was obtained from the Cool file in the Chapman archives. Some information came from Glens Falls city directories of 1874 and later. Also used were:
History Of Warren County, New York, Edited by William H. Brown, Published by Warren County Board of Supervisors, 1963
Glens Falls Post Star, Obituary of Charles W. Cool, September 26, 1932
Cool family biographical file in the Folklife Center at Crandall Library in Glens Falls.