|Back to The Corners Home Page|
GLENS FALLS IN 1831
The following is taken from the Stoddard & Spencer Glens Falls Directory for 1874.
In the columns of the Warren Messenger, May 2, 1831, we get a good idea of the extent of Glens Falls forty-three years since: "Our village at this time contains a population of about one thousand inhabitants. We have four lawyers, three physicians and one minister. Among our mechanics are to be found the shops of two cabinet-makers, five blacksmiths, two hatters, three wagon-makers, one chair-maker, four shoemakers, one book-binder, three tailors, one stone-cutter, one cooper, three saddle and harness makers, one painter, five carpenters, three masons, one baker, four milliners, one watchmaker and two tinners. We have nine mercantile stores, two drug stores, a post-office, surrogate's office, three inns, one cotton factory, one clothier's shop, one printing office, one bookstore, two grist mills, three saw mills, one marble factory, one plaster mill, three lime kilns, a medical school, an academy, a Methodist and Presbyterian Church."Back to The Corners Home Page
Back to Miscellaneous Index