Newspaper clipping of Fairyland ad

The Fairyland Theatre, 1907-1910

The Monroe Exhibition Company of Rochester, New York saw the Glens Falls area as an untapped market. Company owner H. B. Carrol proposed building “one of the best five cent theaters in the state” at 150 Glen St. He hired Frank Shippey to do the carpentry work and accomplished sign artist G. A. Roby to do painting and gilding. To achieve his lofty goals, Carrol had Shippey construct a dome just inside the entrance, which Roby then painted a scene of clouds with playful fairies upon. Former circus man William J. Cottrell was assigned to run the projection booth. It was his responsibility to regulate the realism features of the film, including the sound effects such as horses galloping or glass breaking. A new Powers picture machine contributed quality visuals to compliment the auditory components.

The Fairyland welcomed its first patrons on May 5, 1907. Soon after, illustrated songs were introduced, with local and guest vocalists to provide accompaniment for the piano music. Then, in March of 1908, the New York Exhibition Company purchased a controlling interest in the Monroe Exhibition Company. From that point on, the Wonderland and Fairyland theatres were conducted under one management.

Following the death of Arthur Cohen, president of the New York Exhibition Company, the Fairyland and its contents were sold at public auction in May of 1910.