Visit the Chapman Museum

The museum, located in Glens Falls where the Hudson River leaves the Adirondack Mountains, features exhibits about the history of the Glens Falls – Queensbury area, the 19th century Adirondack photographs of Seneca Ray Stoddard, hands-on exhibits about everyday hometown life, a research archive and gift shop.

Public hours:

Tuesday – Saturday, 10 am to 4 pm; Sunday, Noon to 4 pm

The Chapman will be closed on December 23, 24, and 25 of this year (2022).

Admission — Suggested donation

  • Adults: $5
  • Seniors (65+) & Students (with ID): $4
  • Children under 12: Free
  • Museum members, Veterans, and Active Duty Military: Free

Accessibility

The Chapman Museum is accessible for those with limited mobility. The ramp entrance is located from the parking lot at the rear of the building off Bacon Street.

Group Options

Leaders can schedule museum visits for small groups, provided they are compliant with NYS or CDC guidelines. Please call (518) 793-2826 to discuss options and pricing.

Fall/Winter 2022-2023 Newsletter

View the Newsletter Here

The first traffic light in Glens Falls went operational on Saturday, May 12, 1928. The intersections where the first lights were installed were: Sherman Avenue and Glen Street, and Ridge and Maple Streets installed on May 12, 1928. Lights were then installed at Monument Square, Glen and Canal Streets (Canal Street is now Oakland Avenue and Mohican Street), and Warren and Church Streets on May 15, 1928. By May 16, 1928, a light was also installed at South and Elm Streets.